Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Our Lives Have Been Spared, Seriously!

Our kids go to bed between 7:30 and 8:30. They stay up until the sun goes down and read, or on occasion, play or fight with each other. Anyway, we usually do not "check" on them until we go to bed (usually after 11pm) unless it is necessary.

The other night Paul went upstairs to deal with the girls' fiasco and smelled something odd. He went into Sid the Science Kid's room and found out he had knocked off his lamp shade and didn't quite understand how to put it back properly. The lamp shade was melting quickly, being directly up against the light bulb!

Wow. Maybe I'm being over-dramatic, but I seriously pictured the disaster that could have come about from that situation. I am a worrier by nature, and tend to protect and shelter my children to the fullest extent possible that won't inhibit normal development. Most likely Sid the Science Kid would have noticed there was a problem and would have been able to come and tell us. But, what if he tried to deal with it himself out of fear of getting into trouble? What if he fell asleep and didn't notice until he was trapped or burned? I could go on, but I won't.

Life is but a blink of an eye compared to God's timeline. I wonder if I died right now what my legacy would be. Would I be content with how I've raised my family? Would I have made a difference in anyone's life? These are questions we should be asking ourselves daily, and we should be constantly wondering what God will say to us when we meet him. Will he say, "Well done, good and faithful servant" or not....

No comments: