Friday, August 21, 2009

Preschool with Angelica Pickles

This year I'm doing some FIAR-like or unit study teaching with Angelica Pickles, who turned 3 in May. She loves doing science, character training and spanish with us in the mornings, and I'm convincing her to do bible with us everyday, too. We do all our history, math and other subjects in the afternoon when she's sleeping so she can still have play time in the morning with her siblings.

This week I decided to do books on bears. I tried to find ones she hadn't read before, but I did repeat a few she knew. Our booklist was:

Corduroy by Don Freeman
Ask Mr. Bear by Marjorie Flack
We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Helen Oxenbury
Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear? by Nancy White Carlstrom
Bear Party by William Pene Du Bois

We read a new book each day and repeated the others daily as well. We acted out some of the stories with her toy "Corduroy" bear and dancing princess bear, used bear counters in little games, learned what bears ate and how they hibernate for the winter, and the big project was making our "party bears" from the book Bear Party by William Pene Du Bois. Of course, Sid the Science Kid and Princess Pea are always included in her preschool time (because I can't get them to do anything else!) and made a bear, too. Here they are, a knight and two ballet princesses:

Angelica Pickles can't decide what she wants to learn about next week. I'm thinking maybe....bunnies? We'll see...

1 comment:

G.L.H. said...

I love the knight!