Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Perks of Home Learning

Like I said in another post, my children learn no matter how little time I spend teaching them. Here is a prime example.

Sid the Science Kid is my amazing gifted and talented child. At 18 months the boy knew all his letters and the sounds they make. And he learned it from toys, not mom. Still today, the boy learns more from books and games than he has ever learned from me. Today this is what I found him doing:

Title of book: United States of America. There is a key on the side that tells you larger states will have their name on them and smaller states will have a line connected to a magnifying glass to show you the name of the state.


At Clubhouse Sid is learning about Patriotism and about our country. They have learned a song that lists the states and their capitals in order. Ever since he started Clubhouse he has been enjoying reading books about our country and learning more about the geography of the states on his own. This will be a great introduction to American history that we'll start this year!















The first few states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware and Florida. He traced the pieces from our puzzle and labeled each capital location.




Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho and Illinois.











Indiana, Iowa, Kansas and Kentucky.









Sid amazes me every day. I wonder what exactly God has in store for him.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there and thanks for stopping by my blog! Your children are adorable! :) You asked about A Child's Geography..it could definitely take a year, depending on how quickly you want to go through the chapters. It may be set up to do in 1 semester (I"m not even sure) but we will spread it out a bit more and are actually only using the chapters that pertain to our unit study.

We have been a literature based unit study family since the beginning, when my oldest was 4yrs. We have used Five in a Row, Homeschool Share and other units I've written myself. If you look down my sidebar at my categories, you can clik on "Unit studies" or "Five in a Row" to get an idea of what those look like in our home.

Blessings to you!
Candace